In the latest episode of the CanadianSME Small Business Podcast, we are excited to feature John Lam, Director at Humber College’s Longo Centre for Entrepreneurship. John’s remarkable career is a source of inspiration in both entrepreneurship and education. His extensive experience includes leading notable incubators and entrepreneurship programs at several prestigious institutions, including IDEA at the City of Mississauga Economic Development Office, EDGE at Sheridan College, LaunchPad at Wilfrid Laurier University, and the John F. Wood Centre at the University of Guelph. A former teaching faculty member at Wilfrid Laurier University, John’s firsthand experience in founding two companies has given him a deep understanding of the entrepreneurial journey. At the Longo Centre for Entrepreneurship, he continues his mission to cultivate entrepreneurial talent and support innovative ventures.
Key Highlight Points:
- John discusses the intended outcomes for students and their alignment with current business demands, including the success measurement of these outcomes.
- The significance of entrepreneurial skills in various career paths beyond starting a business, with examples of former students who’ve applied these skills effectively.
- Strategies employed by the Longo Centre to teach entrepreneurial skills, especially to non-business founders, and their preparation for modern business challenges.
- The nature of collaborations between the Longo Centre and industry partners, their mutual benefits, and success stories exemplifying this approach.
- How the Longo Centre integrates Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion principles into its programs and the impact on fostering inclusive entrepreneurship.
- Programs available for upskilling individuals in the workforce and their contribution to professional development and adaptability.
We are deeply grateful to John Lam for joining us and sharing his valuable insights. The key takeaway from our conversation is the critical importance of entrepreneurship education in equipping individuals with the necessary skills and mindset to thrive in today’s dynamic business landscape. The skills and experiences provided by programs at the Longo Centre are invaluable, whether for launching new ventures or bringing innovative contributions within existing organizations.
Our sincere thanks also go to our partners: RBC, our exclusive banking partner; UPS, our exclusive shipping partner; and Xero, our exclusive accounting software partner. Their commitment is vital to the success and growth of small businesses and entrepreneurs.
Don’t forget to subscribe to CanadianSME Small Business Magazine for more enriching content. Visit www.canadiansme.ca for the latest insights and stories in the small business world. Stay inspired and continue to nurture the entrepreneurial spirit within your communities!